Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Avocado, A Healthier Choice


This morning I weighed myself in at a total of a 21 pound weight loss.  


I saw the Doctor today and he was impressed. He couldn't believe how much weight I've lost in just two months.  He said with a big grin, "Your rockin it out!"  I began to wonder if he were more excited than I?  He suggested that I see a Dietitian a few months ago. Though I didn't think I needed the help, (because I thought I had all the answers but no willingness) I took his advice.  I am glad he encouraged me to see the Dietitian because she has helped me understand that there are no "bad foods" and my black and white thinking has changed into a life long mind set for a healthy lifestyle.  I believe the Doc is excited because he helped play a hand in my weight loss.  He said, "I have encouraged many patients to see the Dietitian and rarely do they listen."  What the Doc doesn't know is, I was ready for a change, he just helped me with a good nudge.  I am excited to see his reaction  three months from now!  

On another note, I've noticed Subway's new commercial about avocado season.  On a recent trip to the store I saw avocados on sale so I bought a few.  I have added a few scoops of avocado to my salad along with garden fresh sweet onion salsa and I discovered I really didn't need a dressing so I left it out.  I have heard good things about avocados and bad things, though remembering my Dietitian's words, "There are no bad foods" helped me.  I did, however, investigate the nutritional facts and compare them to that of sour cream and ranch dressing, since I would have chosen either one instead of an avocado for either Mexican food or a salad.  I found the avocados have far more nutritional value than either sour cream or ranch dressing and really, it was expected, since it is a natural food.  So please, go out and buy a few avocados this season and enjoy the creamy, fresh texture which is far better than sour cream or a salad dressing.  


Avocado




Ranch Dressing


Sour Cream



1 comment: